Ignited by God given initiative, a mission team provides an avenue of opportunity to exercise your faith. How? By sharing your talents and expertise with the people who live in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere, Haiti. As your desire to serve intensifies, this page will give you a list of the requirements.
For help, access www.VisaExpress.com.
- View “Expedite Passport.”
All team members must date and sign NHMI Participant Release and Waiver of Liability form.
- Hepatitis A and B
- Chloroquine pills for malaria
Price: Cost will vary depending upon airline expense and accomodations arranged for team while in Haiti. Team members are responsible for transportation to and from Florida.
Field Health Practices:
- Always question the water! Make sure your team leader has indicated that the water is safe to drink.
- It is also a good idea to bring a backpack as well as individually wrapped snacks for daytime travel. Eat food only as directed by team leaders.
- Wash your hands during and after all field activities in warm soapy water. Team members are encouraged to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer.
- Due to an over abundance of mosquitoes during certain seasons, bug repellant is recommended.
- Willingness to comply with NHMI practices and policies while serving on the field.
- Clothing. Please wear lightweight attire. Women should wear skirts, dresses, capris or split skirts. Please avoid wearing tight blouses or shirts. Men can wear blue jeans or casual trousers with a polo shirt or nice t-shirt. For all team members. No short shorts, cutoffs, or men’s shorts will be allowed outside the hotel at any time. Tank tops are not allowed. Team members need to make sure there are no rips or tears in their clothing. Please wear shoes everywhere.
- Never give your address, email, or phone number to a national.
- Please do not take pictures of people in very poor situations without their permission. It is an insult to their culture and their lifestyle.
- Team members need to ask Mission personnel before giving out money as gifts to the Haitian people and before making any promises or commitments to them. It can be difficult for guests of the Mission to understand the mentality of the nationals. What might seem harmless to you can create angry feelings toward team members and career missionaries. Our desire is that the witness of our daily lives might be woven into the fabric of Haitian culture as golden strands of God’s redemptive love.
As your desire turns into reality, you should receive a NHMI team member commitment package complete with a disclaimer form that needs to be signed and returned to the respective team leader before you leave for the field. Because we value YOUR input … toward the end of your team experience, you will also be asked to fill out a short evaluation form which helps us determine the effectiveness of our combined ministry outreach.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
MONTH/YEAR: August 2019 – 2020
NHMI Staff: Brent and Diana Baird
Field Dates: August 17-21
• Distribution of Solar Lights
• Distribution of Child Sponsorship Monthly Funds
• Pastoral and Admin Meetings
NHMI Ministry: Living for Hope
NHMI Host: Doug Diamond
Field Dates: November 1-3
• Ministry to the Elderly
• Food Distribution
Ministry Partner: Journey Church (FL)
Field Dates: November 3-7
• Stanton Optical – Vision Exams – Eyeglasses for School Children
• Child Sponsorship Interaction
• Village Evangelism/Food Distribution
Ministry Partner: TVCC (TN)
Field Dates: November 16-23
• Medical Clinics at NHMI Schools, Barriere, Battant, Chaffrey, and Cima
• Height and Weight Progress Charts
• Soccer Camp (tentative)
NHMI Host: Paul Glyman
Ministry Partner: West Hills Community Church (IL)
Field Dates: January 10-18
Tentative Team Objectives
• School Pictures
• Dentistry (Possibility)
Ministry Partner: Grace Chapel (TN)
Field Dates: January 20-27
• Men’s Conference
• Construction Project – Cima Church Roof
Ministry Partner: Real Life Ministries (ID)
Field Dates: January 27th – February 2nd Team
• Discipleship Conference